Sunday, May 23, 2010

Broome Holiday



My
Broome Holiday began on Friday, when I took an early flight to this wonderful tropical environment. The journey is short from Perth, by air. Just over two hours by plane.

Broome sits on the north west co
ast of Australia, and experiences two seasons. Wet Season and Dry Season. With the exception of some recent rain (and the muggy air it brought with it), this time of year is moving into the popular tourist time to visit Broome, in the Dry Season.

I was excited the entire flight, wriggling in my seat with anticipation to spend time with my brother, Phil (who is a pilot in the Kimberly region) and my parents, who have wound their way up the West Australian coast in their caravan and 4WD on their national trek.

My Broome holiday was to be a family reunion.



I arrived, and the air smelled delicious as I stepped from the plane. I have a sensitive sense of smell, and Broome ALWAYS smells like frangipanis to me. The landscape is littered with many of these beautiful trees, and their scent gives the air a beautiful fragrance.

Mum and dad met me at the small airport terminal. We gave each other a rather sweaty hug. My wintery clothes (including boots!) were fast melting to my skin.

"Whoa! It's a tad warmer now than I expected it to be!" I stated. "I think I need to go shopping. Everything I brought will be too warm to wear!"

For a Broome Holiday I highly suggest you simply bring along your swim suit, a
sarong (for the ladies), and loose summer clothing. Forget the make-up, it simply slides off your face with the heat!

But I love it. A Broome Holiday is a wonderful place to relax, enjoy the t
ropics, experience some great food at some fabulous restaurants in town, see the sites and for me, spend time with my family.

There's plenty to do here.

If you love fishing, then there are many places to throw your line in the water. I spent some time with my parents at the Broome Port jetty. We caught quite a few fish in the couple of hours we enjoyed being there. Most of them we had to throw back, as they were under-sized.

The bites started to wane as the sun set, but our boredom (from very few bites anymore) was broken when my brother arrived with a six-pack of beers!

My dad piped up, "I guess it's pizza for dinner tonight then!"

We enjoyed dining at a local restaurant, relaxing with a buffet feast of gourmet pizzas, salad and wine.



If you come here for your Broome holiday, be sure to check out the local markets on a Sunday. Amongst the clothes, local jewellery, pearls, and food stands, there was a particular stand that caught my interest...the animal stand.

The local Wildlife centre brought out snakes, baby kangaroos, and even a one-week old fruit bat! You get to witness some of the Australian wild-life up close and get some great education about them also. All for free!

My Broome holiday has still got some days left. So I'll update you more soon!

If you wish to have regular updates for my adventures, travel tips & hints, lifetsyle design strategies and more, be sure to add your name and email into the 'Join Me On My Journey With Updates' Box in the top left hand corner of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback :o)